Friday, May 19, 2006

My mom LOVES Tom Hanks

Roxarita just called and asked me to the matinee of DaVinci Code. I devoured this pulpy treat on the beach in Cancun before passing off one of my mom's three copies to Shay. I think we both tried to leave as much sand in it as possible. It was great beach reading.
My mom loves movies. She especially loves Tom Hanks movies, and owns them all. Even Bachelor Party and that stupid volcano thing he made. She has little understanding of demographics - she saw 200 Cigarettes and complained that the characters swore too much.

After having read DaVinci Code, I mentioned that I had a conversation with George (the friend, not the truck) about his Catholic school upbringing and being fascinated by his experience. For my birthday a few weeks later I got three books from her about the Popes.

So, I am headed to the movies, which I don't particularly enjoy. I can only do one thing while I am trapped in the theatre, which bugs me. It is too cold, I always have to pee before the damn thing is over. They tempt me with strawberry twizzlers and junior mints. You have to hold still and not knit, or pay bills, or obsess over the bag of chips that you know are in the pantry.

And I am having a hard time picturing Forrest Gump in this role. Stupid is as secret catholic society does. I'll let you know what I think when this is over. Mom talks through every movie too, but it will mean alot to her for me to accompany her, and it won't kill me to see something that isn't animated. I can't even remember the last adult movie I saw in a theatre. Wait, I tried real hard and remembered that I saw that Firefly TV show movie with my hubby in Shawnee one night. It was entertaining, but not as entertaining as the geeked-out conversations that I heard before the lights dimmed. I was the only person in there without multiple electronica strapped to my belt. Just another reason to NOT wear belts.

posted by Rosie @ 5/19/2006 09:58:00 AM

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home