Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Boonies

I had a pretty overwhelming weekend, followed by much drinking and making myself sicker. Alas....I'll never learn.
I spent the weekend at Camp Hantesa (pronounced Han ta shaw) south of Boone, Iowa. Yeah, I know. I go to Iowa alot. When I worked in KC we called it I Owe the World an Apology, but I am growing to love Iowa. It beats driving to Minnesota all the time.
I started by driving up to Ames on Thursday afternoon with a senior boy (freshly showered - YES!) and getting seasick from being shoved mercilessly around on I-35. Felt sicker snd sicker as I drove and he slept. Dropped him off, bowed out of the slumber party at another youth's home, and got a room at the Holiday Inn. Drove over to the Arby's next door to get something to put in my stomach to top off the 8 serving bag of Chex Mix I gluttonously snarfed in the car.
I thought the guy who took my order sounded a bit different, and a little too perky. I pull around to the window and saw my knight in shining polyester who galliently was pouring my diet pepsi. He had a ceasar haircut, accentuated by his handsome visor, a silver hoop in his left earlobe, and a sweet smile, albeit crooked. He reached out the window to take my $7.89 for dindin, and I placed a ten in his slightly crumpled hand. Change came back, he turned and walked to retrieve my sandwich. His hips swiveled unnaturally in their sockets, as he gallumphed across the restaurant. My lip quivered. He wanted so badly to be cool. I felt my throat constricting. He proudly wore his uniform as he told me to have a great evening in his permanently slurred speech, and to come back soon. I wiped a tear away from my eye. Dammit, he WAS cool. Life is very unfair, and seeing this young man, doing what all young people do - trying to fit in - got me. I sniffled my car back over to the Holiday Inn and tearfully wandered to my room. Coolness is like success, and should be measured in our own terms. I spent the next three days with nearly 100 youth who were all trying to figure out what uniforms they are going to wear throughout their lives. Whatever they choose, I hope they can wear them as well as that young man at Arby's and smile as sweetly while doing so.

posted by Rosie @ 5/17/2006 01:37:00 PM

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home