Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Driving back to Normaltown

There was a wasp in my coffee this morning. The damn thing was flying around upstairs last night and somwhow decided that crawling into the coffee pot was a good thing to do. I don't know if he died before or after he was drowned in scalding hot caffeine (I have a separate water receptacle so I don't actually put water in the carafe to make coffee). It reminded me of a Sex and the City I saw yesterday when Charlotte and Trey were fighting and she said "We're WASPs, WASPs don't fight."

One of my favorite Springsteen songs is on XM - Hungry Heart.
Got a wife and kids in baltimore jack
I went out for a ride and I never went back
Like a river that don’t know where it’s flowing
I took a wrong turn and I just kept going
Everybody’s got a hungry heart
Everybody’s got a hungry heart
Lay down your money and you play your part
Everybody’s got a hungry heart
I met her in a kingstown bar
We fell in love
I knew it had to end
We took what we had and we ripped it apart
Now here I am down in kingstone again
Everybody’s got a hungry heart...Everybody needs a place to rest
Everybody wants to have a home
Don’t make no difference what nobody says
Ain’t nobody like to be alone
Everybody’s got a hungry heart...

Hearing that reminds me of another of my favorite Springsteen songs - Reason to Believe, but I like the Beat Farmers' version best. Which reminds me of a great Beat Farmers song - Happy Boy. It goes like this:
I was walkin' down the street on a sunny day
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba
A feeling in my bones that I'll have my way
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba

Well I'm a happy boy (happy boy)
Well I'm a happy boy (happy boy)
Oh ain't it good when things are going your way, hey hey?

My little dog spot got hit by a car
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba
Put his guts in a box and put him in a drawer
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba

I forgot all about it for a month and a half
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba
I looked in the drawer and started to laugh
Hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba

I'll sing it for you sometime. This really all came to mind because Mandy brought up the most leathery, stinky, stiff dead cat yesterday, and I was trying to figure out what to do with it (other than let her continue gnawing on it) and I thought about Country Dick and the Beat Farmers and putting it in a drawer. It went in the trash instead, but now I think I should have buried it, giving it a proper sendoff. I guess I could've called the knacker, but $22 seems like a lot to get rid of a dead stray cat. Maybe they would've taken the wasp, too. I almost got that damn black snake in the hen house cut in half yesterday, but he (of course it's a HE) escaped in its slithery, egg-eating bastard way. I'm on it though, with an obsessive vigilance. He'll wish I had cooked his rabbit in a pot on the stove when I'm done with him.

So, on a lighthearted note today, I will remind you that Country Dick lives on in our hearts and souls, although he died on stage in 1995. He was friggin crazy!
Ain't it good when things are going your way, hey hey.

Whoa. I got way sidetracked by a Springsteen song. Anyhoo, things are getting back to their old weird ways and this kitty is landing on her feet, unlike the one that landed in my trash. Thanks for your support during these wacky times. I'm putting on some boots to patrol the hen house. I'll let you know what happens....

posted by Rosie @ 4/19/2006 09:54:00 AM

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home