Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Green Beer

I am not a holiday greeter. I do not say Merry Christmas or Happy New Year or Happy Holidays, and especially not Happy St. Patrick's Day. All these words tumble out of my mouth awkwardly, without geniune feeling. But on March 17th, freezing my ass off in my Dale Evans outfit complete with swishing fringe and my hands curled into cups of metacarpalcicles under vintage lavendar gloves, I found my blueblue lips mouthing these words at complete strangers. But who's the stranger here? The people who so valiently weathered the cold to look at the complete idiots who donned ridiculous attire to ride floats for everyone's entertainment, or the idiots on the floats? I am firm in my belief that the people on the floats are much stranger than the audience, even in North Lawrence.
While my cohorts smiled and waved with their bellies full of gin and Fresca and their mouths watering for the green beer to come, I was without antifreeze except for the shot of schnapps that I sureptitiously and greedily gulped off Becky's flask while in Trinity Lutheran Church. I am getting used to having fun without booze. I certainly do not miss the hangovers. I danced my sober ass off at Kelly Hunt with a dozen other people enjoying our private benefit concert, and then watched the Jayhawks go down in infamy, while the Shockers of WSU went on to the Sweet 16. You gotta love a mascot that is a cut hunk of wheat scraped into a shock and given a crazy mug that only its mother could love. Did you know that wheat and barley look almost exactly the same? You really can't tell the difference when you're driving down the road and their amber waves are swaying in the wind, except that most of the barley in the US is grown in North Dakota.
So KU fans don't get to wave the wheat any more during the NCAA tourney, and barley doesn't grow in Kansas. And would a beer of any other color taste as sweet? Hops make beer bitter, so does losing in the first round.

posted by Rosie @ 3/22/2006 11:04:00 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home