Tuesday, March 07, 2006

That's the Best Part

You know how sometimes when you doctor up a plain old burger with all your favorite toppings, and then it becomes this slippery (especially if you put lettuce on it), increasingly soggy mess that looks like car road splatter (I LOVE ketchup) after an ugly wreck by the time you're halfway done with it? The BEST BITE is that bite that has a little bit of every topping on it, in just the right proprtions, right before it gets to that messy roadkill stage. It's usually right in the middle. It's like the crescendo of a musical movement, or the climax of a well-laid plot, followed by the denouement of wet buns (yes, double entendre please!).
Last week at Queens Holding Court, L said something about "that's the best part", and Gypsy chimed in how she loved that phrase. It reminded me of the time Big Harley gave me the middle of his PBJ, letting me know that I was special because he gave me the best bite. Big Harley was my first attempt at maneuvering an adult relationship. Gaymaker:1, Rosie:0.
I went out with some pals last night and ended up spending the evening with 2 old friends, one of whom was celebrating his 50th birthday. He's technically a boss of mine, since he is on the Board of Directors, but we regularly go out after board meetings to have a drink and smokey treats. He was bombed! Our other friend had to pour him into my car and I drove him to his East LA home, which his ex-step daughter had filled with balloons while he was at work. His cat was trapped upstairs, suffering from globophobia, a fear of balloons, and was desperately in need of a visit to the great outdoors. I think he had a pretty good birthday. There was a party for him last Saturday, and a woman he was being supportive of drove the buick on him, and the sofa they were sitting on. It was red wine, and he kept calling it red velvet cake vomit. I loved the visual. Cake is not like a burger, or PBJ. The best part is on the edges, not the middle. Especially a german chocolate cake (which is not german in origin at all), so you can have more of that coconut goo that could really be eaten without the cake at all. Now that's the best part.

posted by Rosie @ 3/07/2006 09:14:00 AM

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home