Tuesday, April 25, 2006

What to do, what to do....

God I'm bored. I need something FUN to do. I don't think I am going to get it in Iowa City this weekend. I'll rub elbows with the right people, schmooze with the district board, have a glass of wine with dinner, and smile, smile, smile. That's what they pay me for.
Meanwhile, back at home... the laundry is not fun, the dishes aren't fun. I can't even skweek any fun out of the treadmill today, with or without Sex and the City. I'm even bored blogging.
I looked at Funjet's website to see if there were any deals from KC to Cancun for $39 a person. No such luck. I need a friggin vacation. I need a beach - that is NOT Bloomington at Clinton. I need an ocean beach, and too much sun, and cute mexican boys bringing me watered-down drinks that all taste the same whether they are pina coladas or funky monkeys.
Every day in Kansas is tasting the same, whether it's guzzling Stormwatch Ale (yummy) at FSB with Gypsy or planting tomatoes and basil and dreaming of far off summer salads on the deck with my chums or trying to find that goddam snake in the henhouse so I can hack it to bits or obsessing over softball sized hail that keeps missing my overly-insured truck.

What to do? Have I been at the top of the roller coaster for so long that the usual stuff is not a thrill? I have had what feels like many trips up the hill, and some scary plummets hurtling along the rickety tracks to the bottom, only to slowly (clickclickclickclick) make the climb back to the top. Right now feels like a slow climb to the top, then you have to go around a bend when you get up there, survey the park from the top for a moment, building even more anticipation of the ride you are about to take back down so that you can ride that momentum over the next small hill, then just when you are used to the jostling you get, you are slammed into the "get off the ride area", where you breathlessly and shakily step out of your car and decide if you're going to get back in line and do it again, or wander around until you find a ride with a short line. The short line rides are not nearly as fun, or scary. And sometimes that is just fine.

posted by Rosie @ 4/25/2006 10:05:00 AM

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home