Saturday, December 02, 2006

The End of an Era

Last night started as a pretty low key evening with me swinging by ye olde public library, getting some work done, running into friends, then parting ways to meet Goddess Going There at FSB for some beverages and to attempt to get a table in an hour. FSB was a zoo, as was the sidewalk outside since nearly every high-octane banjo lover was hanging around waiting for Splitlip Rayfield to start their second to last announced show ever at Liberty Hall, which sold out long ago. I was bummed. I had wanted to go.

Gypsy, TBI, and Sandusky subsequently showed up to join GGT and me for dindin, and in the throng of people attempting to stay warm in FSB we ran into various goddesses and their sundry menfolk. Dinner was great and we gave Sandusky plenty of shit for the cheesy precious moments wanna be picture on his blog and got up to leave. I was headed home, still not feeling SUPER, while the rest of the crew was headed to Pink Kitty for rabble rousing.

Remember how I said I went to bed grouchy and woke up grouchy yesterday? There was a direct correlation between my mood and someone else's behavior, and THAT someone knew it. That someone walked into FSB while I was putting my coat on to gimp 2 blocks to my car and stuck a SLR ticket into my face. I glanced at my friends, said "see ya later and have fun", kissed the Hubby (who had just then dropped way down on the shit list) and told him that I might even have sex with him when we got home (rainchecked it - I was exhausted and he had a Burrito King bag).

What a show, even with the absense of Truckstop Honeymoon who had been thwarted by the snowstorm that blanketed the Midwest. Found Hussy and her pal, lots of LBG folks, lots of people on whom tickets had been wasted, since they were so wasted they couldn't STFU or stay awake to enjoy the show. The mj was being pumped through the HVAC ducts - I swear. Ran into The Lovely Heather who said they had sold 950 tix for the evening, but it felt like more. And at one point pretty early in the set, when Eric asked for lauds for Kirk, everyone stood and cheered and I almost cried.

There is one more SLR show scheduled and sadly I will be in Iowa and can't head off to Wichita to take it in. At some point though you have to say goodbye and let go. The retirement of SLR feels kind of like an early movie screening, where the producers have put together several endings and run them past audiences to decide which one to really use as the final ending when they release the movie. Splitlip Rayfield may have several alternate endings - we'll just have to be patient and see which one they use.

107 hours with no smokey treats. I can do this!

posted by Rosie @ 12/02/2006 08:55:00 AM

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home