Monday, December 11, 2006

It's Beginning to Look a lot like Xmas

I am so excited I can hardly contain it. I have to tell it somewhere, so you all get to know.
I got kiddo the bext Xmas present ever!!!! I ordered it last night online (why would I go out to shop when I can get nearly everything I need right here in my big purple chair?) from Discovery channel and I can't wait until it arrives! Then I have to wait until Xmas for him to open it. Then I have to wait for him to get bored with it before I can play with it!

I ordered him the new Lego Mindstorms kit!!! You know, robots you get to design and build and program!!!! What? You're not as excited about this as I am? Then you don't know how much fun you can have with these things. When I worked in the hood in KCK, one of my pet projects at the school was running a robotics club for middle schoolers. I had never before seen these kids be excited about school. Of course, it took a thousand dollars worth of high tech toys to get them excited, but that's cheaper than more social workers/cops in the schools and a better use of our tax dollars (says the MSW).

I view this purchase as an investment in my future. And I am not thinking of the kind of future that has Kiddo making millions as a robotics engineer so that mommy can fly to Chicago for every home game at Wrigley Field and drink all night at the Cubby Bear. No, I am thinking much more short term - this is something that we can do together and work on our problem-solving skills. We can learn, have fun, and grow our relationship at the same time. I can also practice not being a control freak and learn patience from my son. I tend to over-engineer solutions at times, so children's inate abilty to keep it simple will counter my natural tendency to make things too complicated. Technology is melting the ice around my scrooge-touched heart. I am starting to look forward to Xmas.

P.S. At 10 o'clock tonight, I will have not smoked ANYTHING for 2 weeks. That's approximately 280 cigs not smoked, 3 days added to my life, and $50 saved. I should get some new shoes for that.

posted by Rosie @ 12/11/2006 11:01:00 AM

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home