Monday, October 30, 2006

Fall's Last Hurrah

Yesterday was one of those amazing days that you couldn't have ordered up perfectly even if it was on the specials menu. It was glorious. Not only did it follow a great tailgate, an evening with a friend visiting from Spain whom I had not see in years, but I got an extra hour on Sunday morning - not to sleep - so that I could write the sermon that I needed to deliver at 9 a.m. Somehow there things always work out for me, and I accomplished what I was attempting: making a roomful of stodgy intellectuals let down their guards and weep in public. SUCCESS! Of course, I had to weep a little myself, but I was able to bite my lip and stare at the floor and scrape myself back into a pile, and get thru the rest of the annual Dia de los Muertos service that I run.

Afterward, I hung out with the Sunday school kids and the high school group, throwing hedge balls while tricking them into cleaning up the church yard. Loaded them up in two cars, and drug them and 2 fourth graders to Louisburg Cider Mill on its last day of the corn maze and punkin patch. I was having so much funI even ate a cider donut - something I would even think about doing if I weren't surrounded by a million families from Johnson County sending me into a crowd-induced panic, and the hormone-bags of teens that I was chaperoning.

And that was the best part. Watching 3 teenage boys and two 13-year-old-girls vie for each other's attentions. They came up with every game possible to find excuses to hug, touch, and maul each other. The smell of the pheremones in my truck was overwhelming - I was gagging! Finally got them out of the corn maze where I am sure they were working at getting pregnant ("not on my watch" I kept telling my chaperoning cohorts) and off to the mongolian barbecue in O.P. They were getting tired - in general, and of coming up with clever repartee to woo the opposite gender. The girls made a LONG trip to the restroom together which did not go unnoticed by anyone in the restaurant, and I noticed their hair was straightened up and fresh lip gloss had been applied. At last, we were back on the road for home, while A and W sat in the back seat, closer than they had to with quiet longing hanging between them.

An absolutely marvelous day. If you can make yourself do it (and they keep their shoes on so you don't have to smell their feet) a day hanging with high schoolers can be a bittersweet way to spend that last really good day of Fall. And we got free punkins!

posted by Rosie @ 10/30/2006 09:00:00 AM

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home