Sunday, March 11, 2007

Diggin for taters

"Topeka" is Kaw Indian for "good place to dig for potatoes." Wow. That is not what I was expecting when I looked it up on Wikipedia. Maybe "good place to buy crack" or "rundown seat of Sunflower State." I have recently spent too much time in T-Town as we like to call it around my house. Young people making poor decisions have wreaked havoc on my professional life lately and challenged me to use some skills I wasn't sure I had.

Now that the debacle is mostly behind us, I am moving on to more work - starting a new blog specifically for work (maybe 2 since there are 2 jobs), traveling a lot this Spring, finishing the latest painting project, and starting the garden. My goal is to get some things in the ground by the end of St. Patty's Day next week. St. Pat's is the traditional day to plant potatoes in these parts, but potatoes are so cheap it seems silly to waste garden space growing them. Carrots, too. And I have never found homegrown spuds or carrots to be particularly tasty - not like the difference between pithy, pink store tomatoes vs. luscious, homegrown, Eve-tempting jewels that make the best BLT's ever and can turn cottage cheese into a gourmet lunch. No, I'll be saving my weed-pulling energy for the simple tomato. I wonder how you say "good place for picking tomatoes" in Kaw.

posted by Rosie @ 3/11/2007 07:43:00 PM

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home